Скачать 2 Mb.
The Small House and the True Friends
Once a man built a house. He knew that the duty of every person is to build a house, to plant a tree and to grow up a child. As he had no family, he decided it was time he had (should have) at least a roof over his head. The house was small, comfortable and nice. The owner thought that if he invited all his friends, they would be able to celebrate together the housewarming party. The friends came, examined the house and each said something of his own. One of them remarked that the house could have been bigger, another that he was sorry that the ceilings were so low. The third wished the armchairs were more 433
comfortable. The master of the house didn't like it all of course, but he didn't show it. He looked as if he didn't at all mind the bitter truth, as if he himself had known it all from the very beginning. He knew it was necessary that all the manners (should) be kept. He feared lest his friends, whom he had known for many years, should get offended. But when the guests were leaving his small, but hospitable house, he said, "Yes, my house is really very small, but how I wish I could fill this house with good and true friends!"
I. If it hadn't been a rush hour, nothing could have happened. If something hadn't happened, ... .
Г. should 2. should have paid, wouldn't have happened 3. would have done 4. would have come 5. Would... be
6. would have benefited 7. would go 8. would be 9. would help 10. should avoid 11. would not listen 12. would not follow 13. would have listened. 14. would have never known 15. should do (should be doing)
1. may 2. may 3. should 4. should 5. can 6. should
7. may 8. might (could) 9. may 10. would 11. would (could) 12. could (would) 13. may (might) 14. can, could 15: may, may.
1. She was ironing the linen and would look out of the window from time to time. 2. They may have been too strict with their son. 3. Sometimes he is just unbearable, he will do everything in his way. 4. You needn't have tidied the flat, the cleaner is coming tomorrow. 5. She didn't have to do the flat. The children had already done it. 6. You don't need to be a genius to understand it. 7.1 love you much more than I should.
8. —Do you really need a (the) computer? — I can't 1 do without it. 9. Why should I let you into my life? 10. He wouldn't believe my sad story. 11. It's time you took life more seriously! 12. You should have seen David cooking dinner! You have missed a lot! 13. You can't rely on a chance. You must do something. 14. Mind, you'll pay for it! You'll have to confess everything. 15. You can't have refused this work. You should have consulted me.
1. — Should you need some money, turn to the manager. — I wish I didn't have to do it. 2. — Had he got the inheritance then, he wouldn't have been living in such poverty all these years. — Yes, you can never tell what may happen in life. 3. It's high time you learned Geography! If I had answered at the lesson yesterday, I wouldn't have said that the Mississippi is in Africa. 4. — It's strange he (should) have no doubts about his abilities. — Yes, I wish I were also so sure of myself! 5. — Should you change your mind, let us know, we would like to know about your final decision. — I will. 6. — If the police hadn't arrived at the last moment, the robbers would have escaped. 7. Look after him and should he fight again with his younger brother, let me know. He will be punished. 8. Oh, I wish you left! If I had known that you are correspondents of a newspaper, I wouldn't have let you in for anything. 9. Mother would be very happy if you could find a little time for her. 10.1 think I should have told my parents about the problems at school, but I didn't want to trouble them. What will be, will be! 11. — A nice young man came to see you. — Oh, it must have been my cousin Andrew. Can anything unexpected have happened? — Well, but he could have phoned. 12. She must have been practising this etude for a whole month, I just can't hear it any longer. She must be bad at music. 13.1 was very much surprised that Julia had already left. She was to have typed the whole text, but it turned out that she had done only half of the work. She must have felt bad. 435
After travelling, to see, to question, searching, to sleep,
to find, to knock, to ask, paid, to be refused, bring, to beg.
eating, walking, looking, to wonder, to stay, did not want,
beating, standing isolated. Hiding, see, uncurtained.
mending, to be learning, to knock, must have thought, to
let, speak, shutting.
preparing to die. while returning, on bringing, to know.
Seeing, to speak, exhausted, to go, feel, to avoid asking.
leaving, run. to do, to teach, to sew, to clean, could become.
1. Not knowing the rules of the game, they left without taking part, in it. 2. On hearing the news which was fantastic, she couldn't help crying with happiness.
3. Don't insist on my making a speech. I've come to relax. I've been so impatiently looking forward to this event.
4. Our partners, who worked in the Netherlands, are now working in Belgium. 5. We must have so many things done before leaving: we must have our winter things cleaned, our hair cut, the car serviced. 6. The kid stopped crying only when his mother stopped to buy him a bar of chocolate. 7. You can avoid lough situations by being more patient, reserved and resourceful-minded. 8. It's always unpleasant when a person is speaking without looking you in the eye. 9. — I don't feel like working today. Is it actually worth going to the office? —It's up to you (it's for you to decide). 10. We thanked him for helping us. 11. He is sure to come soon. He is clever enough to understand that we are the people to help him. 12. Her manner of dressing irritates me.
were, to lose, to calm, saying, to do. leave, live, I'll be.
to listen, of dividing, had to. discovered.
to shoot, to bring, have been reminded, seeing, looking,
to love, on helping, to depend.
wiping, to marry, explaining, have confessed, to love, is. trust, doing, hoping, to offend, by living, to sound, to leave, to have read, rushing, could break, could not break, protect.
dreaming, looking, to whisper, to stay, to find, fearing, should hear, leave, going, could hear, walking, sighing, (find) have found, (had) wanted, reproaching, walking, help thinking, finding, wounding, to be, to comfort, keep, walking, passing by, to travel, would allow.
1. — Were I a doctor, I would find medicine for a hundred diseases. —Would you? Stop speaking nonsense. One may think, that nobody has ever tried to do it. 2. You must have taken me for my twin brother. Otherwise you wouldn't have stopped me. 3. The host began to introduce the guests to one another as if they had never met before. 4. — I can't resist the temptation of asking a very personal question. May I? —You should have done it long ago. I have no secrets to hide. 5. We stood on the lonely street, not knowing what to do. We had to fi.nd a place to spend the night at. 6. You only look! The medicine, prescribed by the doctor, has worked a miracle. The kid looks as if he were absolutely healthy, as if he hadn't been ill the whole week. 7. It's time you stopped (should stop) joking at your little sister! In your place I would have helped her to do the sum yesterday and now she wouldn't be crying over a bad mark. 8. — I hate it to be late for classes. — I wish everybody took their studies in the same way. 9. You are hard to please, madam. And there is no denying it. 10. Modern cities have become too big to control. And we have to pay very dearly for the privilege to live in a big city. 11. — Can you have really failed the interview? You must have been very nervous. I should have gone with you. — Oh no, I wish I had prepared better. 12. We were happy to have been given our diplomas. You can't deny that we deserved them. 13. They are both such wonderful people, but they can't find a common language. 14. The rock-concert was 437
to have taken place at the stadium, but, as it started pouring, it was transferred to the covered arena. 15.1 wish I were a gardener and could turn our Earth into a big flourishing garden!
1. Singular. 2. "The bananas are black." is acceptable. "Bananas are black." is not acceptable as bananas are generally yellow. 3. Alice did. 4. Mrs. Brown's knee. 5. It's a request. 6. The first "on earth" is emphatic, while the second one is an adverbial modifier of place. 7. The young people are in church and they want the priest to marry them. 8. It wasn't fried, it wasn't delicious. 9. The second one is the more pluralistic society. 10. Maybe.
l.The news is much better today. 2. What beautiful weather (it is today)! 3. We need some information. 4. The furniture is very old. 5. I'm looking for (a pair of) new jeans. 6. Your hair is getting very long. 7. Do you have scissors? 8. We had a lot of homework last week. 9. Do you think she's making progress in her English? 10. These trousers are too small. 11. She gave me good advice. 12. Emily's clothes are so beautiful! 13. We had interesting work. 14. My money is in the drawer. 15. We need new furniture. 16. Traffic has been bad throughout the day. 17. Where are my headphones? 18. My watch is fast.
have devoted, has become, are! are, do they flatter, have become, have long regarded, have longed, disappoint, become, can. are, are, lose, can, is, become, sink, can, delighted, do I regret, spent (have spent), might have stored.
1. Cora has often been seen playing tennis. 2. What time are you meeting Nadya this evening? 3. It was a lovely morning so Sarah suggested we (should) go for a swim. 4. I'm looking forward to seeing you. 5. My friend is going to look for a new job when he returns to his country. 6.1 wish I didn't smoke so much. 7. We'd rather go to the theatre than to the cinema. 8. War films have a negative effect on people. 9. Nowadays, a large amount of young people is studying languages. 10. She became very upset: she even asked me to leave the room. 11. The motorist asked the man why he had crossed the road at that point. 12. She left her home immediately. 13. Could you explain to me how this machine works? 14. He died in 1995. 15. Let's have a meeting sometime next week. 16. When you arrive, I'll be waiting for you. 17. Have you made many friends since you came here? 18. When he was younger, he played football.
Lewis Carroll — Professor of Mathematics
Many years ago, on a fine summer day a shy man with three little children went boating along the Thames. His name was Dodgson. He was often called "Professor Dodgson" as on weekdays he taught mathematics at Oxford University, and on Sundays he preached sermons in church. "Dodgson" was his real name, but not the name under which we know him.
Dodgson was so timid, that he stuttered while speaking to grown-ups. But he enjoyed telling children amusing stories. It was on that particular day, while boating along the Thames, that he told his little companions an unbelievable story. He told them about a small girl, who, having gone to bed, disappeared in a rabbit's hole, and after waking up, found herself in Wonderland. So unusual was that story, that the children listened to it with wide open eyes. And at the end of their trip they asked the professor to write it down for them. So he did,after working over the manuscript the whole night. And as one of the little girls was called Alice, he chose "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" for the title of his story.
After that Dodgson put away the manuscript into the drawer of his table and completely forgot about it. Never could he suppose that somebody would get interested in it. A few years later a friend of his chanced to see the manuscript. Having brushed the dust off it, he started reading it. Hardly had he read a few pages when he understood that it was a masterpiece which was to be published. "I wish all the children could read about Alice's adventures in Wonderland. I wish you were not so shy and stubborn. In your place I would have done it long ago and now the children could be enjoying this book. So would the grown-ups."
Still, in vain were all his efforts. The professor wouldn't hear that he, a professor of mathematics of Oxford University, would write a silly tale for children! No! Not for anything would he do it! It was beneath his dignity. That's why "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" was finally published under the pseudonym Lewis Carroll. It was a tremendous success. The number of its editions is hard to define. Over many decades "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" has been one of the most loved children's books all over the world.
A Whale Hunt
was shining, had been, were, were playing, splashing, were
swimming, had fallen, began, launched, started, came,
perceived, had found.
appeared, hurled, buried, dived, were coming (came), were
waiting (waited), should not be. was being dragged, filled,
showed, reappeared, were.
excited, attacked, broke, presented, were struggling, were
swimming, were clinging; were trying, were darting, had
made off (was making off), could.
Список литературы, использованной в пособии
1. В. Bradford. A Woman of Substance. Ballantine Book 1982.
2. В. Bradford. Her Own Rules. Ballantine, 1996.
3. B. Bradford. Everything to Gain. Ballantine, 1997
4. Ch. Bronte. Jane Eyre. London, 1978.
5. B. Bryson. Neither Here Nor There. Black Swan, 1998
6. Jon Carlisle. In the World of Science. Barren's, 1992
7. W. Cross. In the World of Geography. Barron's, 199]/
8. R. Dahl. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. 1973.
9. R. Dahl. Matilda. Puffin Books, 1989.
10. P. Lively. Uninvited Ghosts. Mammoth, 1995.
11. The Mammoth Book of Jokes. Robinson, 2000.
12. J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. 1998.
13. A. Seamans. In the World of Nature. Barron's, 1992
14. Sue Townsend. True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole... Teens, 1989.
Экзаменационная работа по математике состоит из двух частей, включающих в себя 20 заданий
Экзаменационная работа по математике состоит из двух частей, включающих в себя 20 заданий
Экзаменационная работа по английскому языку состоит из пяти разделов, включающих 51 задание
Учебное пособие предназначено для студентов учреждений среднего и начального профессионального образования. Основная цель работы...
Программа предназначена для учащихся 10-11 классов в целях подготовки к прохождению итоговой аттестации в формате егэ и рассчитана...
Учебное пособие для учащихся старших классов средней общеобразовательной школы в двух частях. Так же, будет полезно абитуриентам...
«утверждаю» Руководитель Федеральной службы по надзору в сфере образования и науки
Пособие адресовано всем, кто хочет выучить польский язык за короткий срок. В пособии излагается грамматический материал, который...
Пособие состоит из 8 разделов, посвященных некоторым из основных проблем биологии, 24 уроков, 10 текстов для дополнительного чтения,...
Учебное пособие предназначен для студентов, обучающихся по специальности "юриспруденция", и содержит материалы по всем темам курса...